Optimal Health Network Blog
A forum for healing, cleansing, detoxification, and nutrition
Extracts from Hyssop Plant Have Been Found to Be Potent Anti-HIV Agents
The medicinal herb hyssop (Hyssop officinalis)
has been used therapeutically for thousands of years. Hyssop is a blood nourisher, an immune system strengthener, and possesses potent antiviral, antifungal, and antibacterial activity. Today, researchers think that hyssop may be useful in the treatment of patients with AIDS.
Hyssop can be absorbed into the colon via enema or suppository as a single essential oil
. Hyssop is also found in the essential oil blend ImmuPower
, which gives the body the added healing benefits of mountain savory, cistus, ravensara, frankincense, oregano, clove, cumin and Idaho tansy.
1) In one study, extracts of dried leaves of Hyssop officinalis showed strong anti-HIV properties.
- Hyssop officinalis inhibits syncytia formation (the abnormal clustering of cells), HIV reverse transcriptase (RT, or how HIV viruses reproduce), and p17 and p24 antigen expression (an antigen is anything, like a protein foreign to the immune system, that stimulates the production of an antibody, so 'antigen expression' is the triggering of antibody release, an indicator of the presence of a foreign invader; antigens p17 and p24 are proteins found in human immunodeficiency virus, or HIV).
- Hyssop officinalis was non-toxic to the uninfected (Molt-3) cells.
- Caffeic acid was identified in the extracts. As a confirmation, commercial caffeic acid also showed good antiviral activity in i) the RT assay and ii) high to moderate antiviral activity in the syncytia assay and iii) high to moderate antiviral activity in p17 and p24 antigen expression.
- Tannic acid and gallic acid, commonly found in teas, was not identified in the extracts. But when these two acids from commercial products were tested, they showed high to moderate activity against HIV-1.
- Overall, Hyssop officinalis contains caffeic acid, unidentified tannins (a class of phytochemicals), and other compounds that show strong anti-HIV activity. Therefore Hyssop officinalis may be useful in treating AIDS patients.
2) In another study, a polysaccharide isolated from Hyssop officinalis also showed strong anti-HIV activity.
- The polysaccharide MAR-10 (polysaccharides are chains of sugars) isolated from Hyssop officinalis was found to inhibit HIV-1 replication by inhibiting HIV-1 p24 antigen and syncytia formation.
- MAR-10 had no toxicity or effect on lymphocyte functions or CD4+ and CD8+ T cell counts.
- MAR-10 also has broad spectrum anti-glycosidase activity (inhibits HIV from replicating and inhibits HIV-mediated syncytium formation, ref: http://glycob.oxfordjournals.org/content/13/10/93R.long).
- This study shows that the polysaccharide MAR-10 has strong anti-HIV-1 activity and can be considered potent in treating people living with HIV or having AIDS (difference between the two here: www.healthcommunities.com/hiv-aids/hiv-aids-difference.shtml)
The scientific research on hyssop coupled with the ample scientific evidence that exists that the colon is an effective delivery system for therapeutic agents suggests that the hyssop enema
and the hyssop suppository
are powerful additions to the therapeutic tools in assisting people with AIDS.
Inhibition of HIV replication by Hyssop officinalis extracts.
Isolation of a previously unidentified polysaccharide (MAR-10) from Hyssop officinalis that exhibits strong activity against human immunodeficiency virus type 1.
Screening of selected plant extracts for in vitro inhibitory activity on human immunodeficiency virus.
A Story Of AIDS & Young Living Essential Oils (You'll love this.)
Hyssop (an Herb) Inhibits HIV per Federal Government
38 Natural Alternatives for HIV
How Bananas and Herbs May Prevent the Transmission of HIV
Hyssop (Hyssopus officinalis)
Here is a sampling of scientific studies looking at the application of therapeutic agents directly into the colon:
Again, hyssop can be absorbed into the colon via enema or suppository as a single essential oil
. Hyssop is also found in ImmuPower
essential oil blend, which gives the body the added healing benefits (see below) of mountain savory, cistus, ravensara, frankincense, oregano, clove, cumin and Idaho tansy.
- Mountain savory (Satureja montana) has immune stimulant, antiviral, antifungal, anti-infectious, and anti-parasitic properties.
- Cistus (Cistus ladanifer) has antibacterial, anti-infectious, and antiviral properties. It is also an immune stimulant.
- Ravensara (Ravensara aromatica) has antibacterial, antifungal, anti-infectious, antiseptic, antiviral, and expectorant properties. It is a cross between the nutmeg and clove plants so it may support the adrenals.
- Frankincense (Boswellia carteri) has antidepressant, anti-infectious, and immune stimulating properties. The high sesquiterpenes level stimulates and oxygenates the limbic system of the brain which elevates our mood and helps us relax (overcome stress).
- Oregano (Origanum vulgare) has antibacterial, antifungal, antiviral, and anti-inflammatory properties. It is also an immune stimulant.
- Clove (Syzygium aromaticum) has antiseptic, antiviral, anti-infectious, and antifungal properties. It is COX inhibitor (anti-inflammatory) and has one of the highest ORAC values of any plant in the world!
- Cumin (Cuminum cyminum) has antiseptic and immune stimulant properties.
- Idaho Tansy (Tanacetum vulgare) has antiviral, antibacterial, anti-infectious, and anti-inflammatory properties. It is also an immune stimulant.
Labels: AIDS, antibacterial, antifungal, colon, essential oils, HIV, hyssop, immunity support, suppository
How do I use Super Salve for healing an anal fissure?
Here is an example of what our customers are saying about using Super Salve
for healing any irritations on the anus, including fissures
that doctors say need surgery:
have been using this product for only a little over a week now and I
can feel the difference in the healing process. I have an anal fissure
in the perineal area on the outside which itches and is very painful. I
have tried creams and cryotherapy (cold therapy), and to my
frustration, none of them worked. But I have tried this wonderful
product and it has made an immediate difference!
walk 40 minutes a day and when my butt rubs together on the fissure, it
burns. So, I apply some Super Salve before I go out and it gives me
immediate relief! I can actually make it back home without being in
pain! I will be purchasing more of this.
I use a long colon tube and when inserting and pulling it out, it rubs
on the fissure, irritating it. So I apply Super Salve for every
insertion and it relieves the pain. I was worried I would have to give
up enemas because of using colon tubes, but now I don't have to worry
about it. I know I can continue on with the Super Salve. What a great
Liberally lubricate the anal
area, both externally and along the inner rim of the anal sphincter. It
applies easily. Be gentle. You don't need to use a lot, but you can if
you find that it is what works best for you. And you don't need to apply
the salve inside the anal cavity.
Apply the salve 2-6 times daily. The art of application frequency depends on the fissure and your activity level. Experiment.
You will need to wash your hands well after application. Our goat milk soaps
work well for the hand washing. If needed, use a non-latex glove.
can be used as part of an anal fissure healing program, in the tub, as
some people heal more quickly with the added benefit of the rosemary, clove, and niaouli oils.)
Labels: anal fissure, Celtic Sea Salt, essential oils, goat milk soap, Super Salve
Need personalized, one-on-one support? Here is a sample consultation with Kristina!
After reading my book, Ten Days to Optimal Health
, Rebecka wanted more hands-on support.
During the phone consultation
(lasting an hour and twenty minutes), we documented the details of
Rebecka's health journey and developed an understanding of her deeper
health goals. The core issues that emerged in this consultation were her
struggles around binge eating, how to best fulfill both her
physiological and emotional needs for food, a plan to recover from
multiple chemical and food sensitivities, keeping her blood sugar
balanced, and her need to develop a gentle, but powerful, in-home colon
1. OVERALL PHILOSOPHY or, "When you feel confused, what are your prime directives?"
- Eat every 2-3 hours
- No gluten grains or sugary foods
- Find foods you love and give you a deep sense of fulfillment
- Keep your blood sugar stable by balancing small amounts of carbohydrates with small amounts of protein and fat each time you eat
SAMPLE DAILY DIET:
Throughout the day:
- 60-70 oz of alkaline water
- 4 oz of beef or chicken with cup of bone broth as a soup
- 1-2 T of coconut oil
6 oz of non-starchy vegetables
- Sauerkraut juice
- Homemade sour cream made in yogurt maker
- 8 oz of GT's Kombucha
- Animal protein such as smoked salmon, sardines, or raw or rare buffalo or bison
of fruit, or 1/2 cup of applesauce, or 1 cup of vegetable and/or fruit
juice (carrot, lemon, spinach, parsley, apple, garlic, for instance)
- 2 oz of beef or chicken with cup of bone broth as a soup
1-2 T of coconut oil
- 6 oz of non-starchy vegetable (only if needed)
- Sauerkraut juice (only if needed)
Homemade sour cream made in yogurt maker (only if needed)
- Winter squash with coconut oil and sea salt
- Smoked salmon or canned fish
- Steak or another dinner meat
6 oz of non-starchy vegetables (only if needed)
- Second half of the kombucha
Other possible snacks:
- Go Raw Super Chips
- fermented vegetables with black bean chips
- grated, raw carrot salad with olive oil, apple cider vinegar, and lemon
2. ONGOING QUESTIONS TO EXPLORE:
- Liver: how do we recover liver health?
- Adrenal glands: how do we recover adrenal health?
We began to support Rebecka's liver and adrenal glands with a custom-blended liquid herbal tonic
-- equal parts licorice root, Gymnema, and Echinacea, and a touch of
black walnut hulls. This herbal formula addresses adrenal health,
afternoon cravings, waking at 1 a.m.
, blood sugar regulation, pancreatic
restoration, bowel health, immunity, and bacterial and parasitic
- Take 1 tsp with breakfast, 1 tsp with 9:30 a.m. snack, and 1 tsp with lunch
3. TAKE AN ENEMA SERIES TWICE WEEKLY and USE YOUNG LIVING ESSENTIAL OIL SUPPOSITORIES 3-5 TIMES WEEKLY
For the third enema
in the series, take a coffee enema using 1-2 cups of water and 1 tsp. of made-for-enema coffee
Three to five times per week, on the days you have not taken an enema, use the same Young Living oil or oil blend in a suppository
If you need this level of individual support,
I would be honored to work with you!
Labels: adrenal glands, adrenal stress index, binge eating, blood sugar, chemical sensitivities, detox diet, enemas, essential oils, kombucha
The Dilemma of Constipation during Pregnancy
(Letter from a Client)
recall the number of times that I have googled "are enemas safe during
pregnancy?". I have never found a meaningful answer to my question. I
found lots of commentary and concerns that enemas can trigger uterine
contractions, and therefore are risky during pregnancy.
My experience with pregnancy, constipation, uterine contractions and enemas
my first pregnancy I suffered terribly from constipation. I resorted to
frequent use of glycerine suppositories to get my bowel to eliminate.
Not a good solution!
When I was pregnant with my second child I again experienced
constipation. This time the constipation triggered uterine contractions,
once at 25 weeks and again around 30 weeks. I was hospitalized each
time as a result of the contractions caused by the constipation. Based
on these experiences I do agree that bowel spasms can trigger uterine
spasms. My "treatment" was a Panadine Forte -- which unfortunately made
me even more constipated. Following the hospital stays I decided to try
an at-home enema to prevent the build-up and constipation as well as
preventing any further uterine contractions. This approach worked for
I read Kristina's book, Ten Days to Optimal Health
, and watched some
how-to videos to find out how to do an enema. I was extremely cautious
and slow with my enema experimentation. I used comfortably warm water
and only allowed a small amount of fluid into my bowel at slow intervals
so that my bowel could adjust and be completely comfortable with the
enema. I did the enemas while soaking in an Epsom salt bath and I
quickly felt very relaxed doing enemas. The enemas gave me immense
relief and helped me to avoid constipation. I did not have any further
uterine contractions and my baby was born at full term, with a wonderful
How can I have a pregnancy without constipation?
question is now, how can I have another child without suffering from
the problems caused by poor elimination and inadequate detoxification?
A bit more about my background: I have suffered from constipation for
years and years. I adopted a whole foods diet, following the principles
of Weston A. Price
4 years ago. The diet change rapidly improved my immunity and the
recurring thrush, viral, throat infections and urinary tract infections
that I had suffered from for years disappeared. Unfortunately the diet
change did not solve my constipation issues.
With much experimentation I found that I can live free from constipation
by eating liberal amounts of saturated fats (fermented cod liver oil,
coconut oil, duck and chicken egg yolks, avocado and other fats),
including 2 to 3 cups of gelatinous bone broth each day, strictly
limiting the amount of cooked protein I eat to around 120 grams per day,
eating fresh salads with herbs, avoiding all grains, starches, nuts and
seeds, including a liquid magnesium supplement, soaking in Epsom salt
and clay baths and getting plenty of exercise.
I no longer need to use enemas to help relieve constipation; the formula above works to get my body eliminating.
are hoping to have another baby. Recently as part of our preconception
care my doctor tested me for MTHFR. I tested positive with two defective
genes (I am MTHFR C667T homozygous), which means my body does not
metholate effectively. In very simple terms my body is only 10 to 20%
effective at detoxifying, instead of 100% effective. Many people suffer
symptoms from MTHFR gene mutations without knowing they have a problem.
You can be tested for MTHFR through blood tests or through saliva tests
I have been prescribed supplements to help my body to improve
methylation, and in addition to the supplements I have started
following the recommendations from an MTHFR expert, Dr. Lynch of www.mthfr.net
One of the tools Dr. Lynch recommends for detoxification and to
help MTHFR sufferers is coffee enemas
. I started using enemas again last
year to do coffee enemas. I am amazed at the physical difference and
calmness I have experienced from regular coffee enemas. They also allow
me to make lifestyle and diet changes without suffering from detox
symptoms. I have started experimenting with adding geranium to my coffee enemas as it increases glutathione levels
So far I love it. It smells beautiful and makes me feel good.
So, what is the answer to the pregnancy constipation dilemma?
is no definitive answer, and one person's medicine is another person's
poison. No one can make guarantees about what will cause a pregnancy to
go smoothly. There may be risks of uterine contractions triggered by
bowel spasms. My experience and personal choice would be to use enemas
if I need them in a future pregnancy. I feel that the risks of doing an
enema at home, in a relaxed state, slowly and peacefully, are very, very
low. That said, I would also choose to eat raw egg yolks and raw meat
during a pregnancy, which I also consider very low risk (as long as
they are sourced from reliable farmers). For some women my "low risk" choices would be seen as very high risk. I think that the dilemma of
constipation during pregnancy is a matter of considering your risk
appetite, choosing what you are prepared to experiment with and being
calm and peaceful in your actions.
A final word about raising babies and children on organic whole foods diets
is amazingly hard work to source fresh organic whole foods, cook almost
everything from scratch, make bone broth, ferment sauerkraut, and cover
the enormous cost of eating this way (compared to cheap, processed grain-based foods). It is also very hard work convincing young children that
eating bread and cake is bad for their health and will damage their
facial and physical development as well as compromise their
immunity... and that taking fermented cod liver oil, drinking stock and
eating caviar is a good idea! My experience is that it is worth it. It
is early days for me as my children are still young, and I certainly do
not have all of the answers. So far I feel that the results are worth
the effort. My youngest has never been sick, he has beautiful big eyes,
big white teeth, a gorgeous smile and a very sharp mind. My eldest has
never been sick, but has had some dental decay (which is a form of
illness and compromised immunity). My kids exist in the world, have
contact with school kids and exposure to others. Their immunity seems
strong. I don't believe they would be as they are if they were raised on
a diet which included processed foods, processed sugar and processed
grains. I am grateful for what I have learned, for the wisdom shared by
Weston A. Price, Kristina Amelong, and other authors, and I pray each
day that my children, my husband and I continue to be blessed with
Buy Coffee Enema Kits
Labels: coffee enema, constipation during pregnancy, constipation solutions, detoxification, enemas, glutathione, organic food, whole foods diet
The Coffee Enema and Geranium Essential Oil
Coffee enemas are well known to relieve pain, nausea, general nervous tension, and depression. Coffee enemas, by lowering blood serum toxin levels, are also thought to increase cell energy production, enhance tissue health, and improve blood circulation, immunity, tissue repair, and cellular regeneration. Again, it is thought that coffee enemas support the body in these ways, in part by increasing glutathione
levels in the blood stream.
Glutathione reacts with free radicals (which cause cell damage) in the bloodstream and makes them inert. These neutralized substances are then dissolved in the bile, released through the bile flow from the liver and gallbladder, and excreted through the intestinal tract.
In 2012, researchers Sabuncuoğlu S and Söhretoğlu D, from the Department of Pharmacognosy, Faculty of Pharmacy, Hacettepe University, in Ankara, Turkey, found that geranium
also enhances glutathione levels in the blood stream.
This is fantastic news for a number of reasons:
- Many people are sensitive to caffeine. Caffeine is what increases the glutathione levels with the coffee enemas. Thus, geranium can be used instead of the coffee enema.
- For those who aren't sensitive to caffeine in the coffee enema, you can add geranium to your coffee enema for a greater benefit.
- Science, through geranium, is affirming that the healing concepts behind the coffee enema – raising glutathione levels – are effective for improving health. I propose that this blog post begin a conversation with the TV show "My Strange Addiction" and its Dr. Roshini Rajapaksa regarding negative statements made about the coffee enema. Coffee enemas are an effective healing tool. I have worked with thousands of people who have relied on the coffee enema for healing. Many of them have reported that the coffee enema has saved their life. Let's seriously look into the science behind raising glutathione levels.
- People who don't have enough time to take coffee enemas can use geranium suppositories.
Read more: www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22900549
Please pass this blog post along to your friends. The negative press around the coffee enema means that we need to spread the word of their effectiveness one person at a time. You could save a life.
Labels: bile, caffeine, coffee enema, essential oils, gallbladder, geranium, glutathione